Friday, March 27, 2009

5 Spice Pork Chop

This recipe was a new one -- 5 Spice Pork Chop with Strawberry Salsa. I served it with broccoli and whole wheat couscous. This sounded good to me mainly because of the strawberries! I learned that 5 Spice Powder is found in the Asian aisle, not the spice aisle. When I pulled the spice jar out yesterday to make this recipe, I read the back to see what was actually in five spice powder. Anise jumped out at me. I hate anise! I drastically reduced the amount that I used so that the anise flavor wouldn't be prominent. The recipe says to pan fry the boneless pork chop, but I just browned it in the pan and baked it in the oven, hoping that it would be more tender. In the past, I've had problems with tough pork chops. Despite my efforts, it was still tough this time around. All in all, a fun recipe, but I've got to figure out how to master the pork chop.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow...fancy. I have never made couscous...but it seems like everybody in the food blog world does. Maybe I should try it. And...I feel dumb...I don't even know what anise tastes like...shame on me ;) Looks lovely by the way :)

the neelys said...

Maybe try the porkchops in a crock pot? I bet they'd be tender then!

A place to share some cards, scrapbooking and other thoughts and interests along the way.